Friends of Ruby
Friends of Ruby is dedicated to the journey and well-being of 2SLGBTQIA+ youth through a unique combination of integrated and tailored services in mental health, social support, and housing. We are committed to creating welcoming and safer spaces uniquely designed to help build community, emotional well-being, and confidence.
We distinguish ourselves by delivering an integrated transitional housing model to support youth towards independent living, impactful counselling modalities and therapeutical groups, social activities and practical supports that address multiple aspects of a youth’s life (e.g., health, education, employment).
Our services and programs are informed by 2SLGBTQIA+ youth, grounded in evidence and research, and led and facilitated by 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals. Our staff reflects the diversity of the youth we serve and are skilled in supporting youth towards independence and well-being. Ultimately, we want to help create a Canada where all 2SLGBTQIA+ youth are validated, included, and empowered to lead healthier lives.
What We Offer
- Challenging work with opportunities for career development
- Group Health and Dental Benefits program once eligibility criteria are met
- RRSP with company matching component available
The Operations Supervisor leads in maintenance and operations, vendor oversight, equipment and supplies, occupancy services and proactively develops and maintains client relationships ensuring exceptional service quality.
The Supervisor works closely with the Operations team in the day-to-day function of both facilities and ensures that activities run smoothly. This position requires understanding of the impact of Friends of Ruby’s work, operational mindedness, and a partnership-oriented approach to working with the Friends of Ruby leadership team to ensure that facilities services requirements and deliverables are timely, high quality, and best serve staff, youth, and other users of our facilities.
About the Role
The key responsibilities outlined below are interpreted as being descriptive in nature and are not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
- Assists in assuring the cleanliness and security of the building environment.
- Serve as the point of contact for facility and building maintenance and repair work
- Address all office building maintenance concerns, including building maintenance issues (lighting, heating, cleaning)
- Schedule and manage repairs and maintenance, minor works, and other work requests, tracking to completion
- Respond to all work requests in a timely manner, ensuring excellent customer service
- Issue work orders when needed and compare work order and invoice with internal tracking spreadsheet to ensure job details and payment
- Work with the team to participate in office moves and renovations, and support facility usage for internal and external events.
- Assign and supervise preventative maintenance as well as servicing needs within time limits
- Maintain records of Facilities & Services requests, building occupants’ issues, and other aspects of daily operation
- Liaise with Property Management to ensure compliance with regulations and building standards
- Ensure building occupants compliance with applicable policies, and report potential violations to leadership
- Ensure that equipment and space is well-maintained
- Management of building access passes, keys, fobs, locker management, safety, and security support, and general accessibility
- Keep staff and building occupants informed of scheduled maintenance work or technician visits
- Procure and oversee custodial services and ensure that both building cleaning staff maintain a professional appearance of all areas of the office
- Maintaining display boards, including arranging existing promotional material, creating promotional material for front desk services, and approving and posting external postings
- Assist in the procurement of vendors and services as required pertaining to the facility’s needs
- Order and maintain a suitable inventory of all facility and cleaning supplies
- Work with the Director of Finance and Operations and outside service providers to ensure full functionality and service of such appliances as fridges, freezers, etc.
- Handle inventory management, including but not limited to device oversight and procurement of building supplies
Health, Safety, and Accessibility
- Help develop, enforce, and administer emergency response plans and policies including evacuation, implementation of after-hours emergency response, and environmental health and safety
- Ensure an overall safe environment for those using facilities
- Support and facilitate the creation of policies relating to health and safety, building access, and other relevant policy work
- Ensure work is attained in a responsive way complying with set quality safety guidelines and standards
- Assess accessibility of the facilities and make recommendations to ensure compliance with the AODA
Operational Leadership & Collaboration
- Identify opportunities for improved operation and service excellence, making recommendations to ensure all building procedures and performance measures are maintained at all times and the provision of a safe workplace
- Ensure that relevant activities are executed in a financially responsible, sustainable, accessible, safe and equitable manner
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to facilities and conference services activities
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects with short deadlines
- In collaboration with management, determine appropriate external contractor needs to support facilities work
- In collaboration with leadership, train, motivate, supervise, and support performance evaluation of Operations team members
- Maintain high performing working relationships across all teams within Friends of Ruby, to support the delivery of high impact outcomes within outreach, services, and programs
- Actively support an environment of teamwork, co-operation, performance excellence, and personal success
Respect and Professionalism
- Maintain professionalism in the workplace.
- Work cooperatively alongside and support all Friends of Ruby team members and departments
- Adherence to the mission, vision, policies, and procedures of the agency
- Attend internal staff meetings and staff training as required
- Maintain the confidentiality of all client and agency information
- Foster positive and appropriate relationships with clients, colleagues, community partners and volunteers
Skills and Experiences
- You possess related post-secondary education and/or equivalent combination of education and related experience in project management, facilities, property management or hospitality
- You are proficient in a range of information technology tools and platforms
- You have excellent communication, organization, and problem-solving skills
- You have a proven ability to work independently with little supervision and effectively deal with stressful situations
- You are able to lift and move equipment around the building (weight being variable and within reason), in a safe and appropriate manner
- You are self-motivated; confident, energetic and flexible
- You have experience working in cross-functional teams
- You are ability to balance multiple priorities, prioritize and deliver programs and tactics on time to budget in an emergent, fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to communicate at all levels with confidence
- You have exceptional time/project management skills
- Experience working for not-for-profits is considered an asset
- Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) Certification is considered an asset
- This is a full-time position, requiring in person work at both of our locations: 489 Queen St. E and
- Availability is required during the core hours of operations (9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday). Occasional evening and weekend work may be required in emergencies or to facilitate certain work
- An ability to lift, move, and carry equipment – safely and within the provision of the OHSA – is required to maintain the facility
- Satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Police Check Program
- Must be qualified to legally work in Canada
- Ability to work outside working hours in emergencies
- Ability to travel to other community-based settings as needed
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s License
- Ability to travel between different sites
Friends of Ruby believes that immunization against COVID-19 is an individual and societal responsibility and that we must do everything possible to protect our clients, families, employees, students, volunteers, and contractors against the spread of COVID-19. As a condition of employment, proof of full vaccination or exemption under the Ontario Human Rights Code must be submitted to Human Resources seven (7) calendar days prior to start date.
Hiring Policy / Statement on Employment Equity and Diversity
Friends of Ruby strives for inclusion and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. Candidates with lived experience of homelessness and/or who self-identify as being from the 2SLGBTQIA+ or marginalized community, including Indigenous peoples, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and persons, are encouraged to apply and will be prioritized. We ask that these candidates indicate their relevant identities in their cover letters.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us why you want to work at Friends of Ruby and outline how your experiences will position you for success in this role.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require accommodation (including alternate format materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Friends of Ruby; however, only applicants who are successful for an interview will be contacted.